|Sk 12 - Focke-Wulf Fw 44J Stieglitz (1936-1967)|
license contract had been signed with Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau A. G. in
the end of 1936. The Air Force had chosen the Stieglitz as a standard
trainer after an impressing display at Ljungbyhed in 1935. The aircraft
showed itself suitable as a basic as well as an advanced trainer. Two
aircraft were purchased for evaluation. The Stieglitz was given the
Swedish designation Sk 12.
Totally 85 Sk 12’s were delivered to the Swedish Air Force.
first step was to order further 14 aircraft from Germany for prompt
delivery. In 1940, another batch of 12 aircraft were purchased directly
aircraft were built by CFV/CVV. They were delivered in 1939-1943. But
the new Defence Plan of 1936 had been passed by the Parliament. This
stated that no further aircraft were going to be built by Air Force
itself. Incidentally is worth to be mentioned that CVV nevertheless
expanded. In 1944, more than 1000 persons - excluding all conscripts -
were employed. CVV was laid down in 1970.
order of the remaining 20 aircraft was given to ASJA at Linköping. The
Air Board made it a condition that the aircraft were to delivered as
fast as if they had been ordered directly from Germany. ASJA delivered
the aircraft as early as 1937-1938.
the flying surfaces of the Stieglitz mainly was a wooden construction,
the fuselage was of welded steel tube. The structure was fabric covered
except parts of the wings that partially were covered by plywood. The
engine cowling plating was made of aluminium.
fixed landing gear could be fitted with skis at winter time. The main
wheels were provided with hydraulic brakes.
Sk 12 was powered by an air-cooled 7-cylinder Bramo Siemens Halske 14A
radial engine. The engine, delivering 145 hp, was manufactured by BMW
Flugmotorenwerke in Berlin.
Stieglitz was replaced as standard trainer at the Air Force Flight
Ljungbyhed in the end of WWII by the Sk 25 Bücker Bestmann. The Sk
12’s were spread out to all Air Force Wings in Sweden. They were used
for liaison, weather flying, etc. and of course training. When the last
aircraft was written off in the end of the sixties, many were still
flying for flying clubs or had been sold to private owners. It became a
popular tug for sailplanes.
Two Stieglitz are preserved at Svedino's Automobile and Aviation Museum, both built at Västerås. Photo at top: Sw/AFn 5787 built in 1943. It later got the civil registration SE-BWR. The photo is taken at an airshow at Ljungbyhed in 1976. Photo courtesy Svedino's.
Photo below: Sw/AFn 647, built in 1939. Also this aircraft carried a civil registation - SE-BWZ. Is is painted and marked as one of the two first purchased aircraft.
Bottom: Map of the location of Svedino's Automobile and Aviation Museum on the Swedish West Coast. Photo of Stieglitz SE-BEW, flown By Björn Svedfeldt of Svedino's for some years. This aircraft has no Swedish military history. It is built at CKD and operated in Finland. Photo of SE-BWR: Anders Svensson.
7,29 m. Span: 9,01 m.
MTOW: 915 kg. Max. speed: 168 km/h.
For the Model Builder
© Lars Henriksson