|Se 103 - DFS Kranich (1943-1953)|
|Page 1 (1)|
Jacobs at the DFS (Deutsches Forschungsanstalt für Segelflug (German
Research Institute for Soaring Flight) designed in 1935 a sailplane
called Kranich (the bird ”Crane” in English). The two-seated
aircraft was equipped with dual command with the instructor (in tandem)
behind the pupil.
Air Force ordered
the Kranich, which got the designation Se
103, as it needed a two-seat sailplane for basic training. The
rights for building it under license in Sweden had been bought by AB
Flygplan at Norrköping. This company was in 1938 appointed as the
representative of Klemm aircraft in Sweden. As the Air Force had
acquired a considerably number of the Klemm Kl 15 trainer aircraft, AB
Flygplan had got a lot of money as commission. To avoid tax, AB Flygplan
now decided to build up a production facility for sailplanes.
Kranich - Air Force numbers 8201-8203 - were manufactured in 1943-1944.
AB Flygplan never managed to find a suitable successor to the Kranich
and the Grunau Baby. After the production of these types was finished,
the company was laid down.
Kranich was built in wood and fabric. Its monocoque plywood fuselage had
a long framed canopy with individual detachable sections. The gull wings
were equipped with spoilers. To take off, it used a jettisonable double
wheel and landed on an ash skid. As the rear seat was located behind the
wing spar, a transparent panel in each wing root provided downward
visibility for the instructor.
aircraft at the photo now hangs under the ceiling of Flygvapenmuseum. It
has the Sw/AF No 8211 and the c/n 072.
Length: 7,70 m. Span: 18,00 m. MTOW: 365 kg. Max. speed: 215 km/h. Lift/drag ratio 23:1 at 70 km/h.
© Lars Henriksson