J 28 -
De Havilland Vampire (1946-1968)
|Page 1 (2)|
Havilland DH 100 Vampire was the first jet aircraft in the Swedish Air
Force. The deliveries from the UK began already in June of 1946. 70
Vampires of the D H 100 Vampire Mark F.1 were ferried from the British
manufacturer to Sweden by Air Force pilots. The designation in Sweden
was J 28, later changed to J 28A, when other versions of the Vampire
were provided to the Air Force.
These variants of the Vampire served in the Swedish Air Force:
- D H 100 Vampire F.1 (Fighter Mk 1). 70 aircraft were delivered
1946-1947. They were the first jet aircraft in the Air Force. The
armament consisted of four Hispano 20 mm automatic cannons (m/46).
- D H 100 Vampire FB.5 (Fighter Bomber Mk 5). 310 aircraft of this
version were delivered in four batches 1949-1952. They were all armed
with four improved Hispano 20 mm automatic cannons (m/47) and could
carry eight 18,5 cm attack rockets. The J 28Bs that were transferred to
the Attack Wing F 14 at Halmstad around 1953 were re-designated A 28B.
- D H 115 Vampire T.55 (Trainer Mk 55). 45 aircraft were bought from de
Havilland Co. in three different versions. 12 J 28B were rebuilt to J
28C standard in Sweden. The C-version version was first developed by de
Havilland as a night fighter (D H 113). When this version showed itself
difficult to put on the market, the manufacturer developed it further to
an advanced trainer, keeping the armament of four 20 mm automatic
cannons. It could also carry rockets. This two-seated aircraft
(side-by-side arrangement) were purchased to improve the training after
a row of serious crashes. The aircraft were delivered directly to the
Swedish fighter wings. The first 30 aircraft were original T.55. The
last 15 British-built Vampires were of the modified T.55A version, which
lacked armament. When the War Flying School (F 5) at Ljungbyhed needed
more two-seated jet aircraft, twelve J 28B/A 28 B from the attack Wing F
14 at Halmstad, were rebuilt by the Air Force own workshop CVM at
Malmen. The Vampires ended their career in the Swedish Air Force as
trainers, not least for senior officers to give them experience of jet
aircraft. The trainer Vampires were re-designated fpl
The first 70 Vampires (J 28A) were fitted with Goblin II engines of 1.360 kp, made by de Havilland (RM 1). The remaining versions used the somewhat stronger Goblin III (1.500 kp). These engines were manufactured in Sweden by Svenska Flygmotor AB and got the Swedish designation RM 1A.
The fuselage is to a great extent built as another famous de Havilland aircraft, the Mosquito. The fore part of the is constructed of plywood and balsa wood in two halves. The nose party consists of removable aluminium plating. The wings are all metal.
9,37 m (J 28C 10,49 m). Span 11,59 . MTOW - J 28A 3.899 kg, J 28B 4.800
kg, J 28C 5.050 kg.
top of the first Vampire delivered to the Air Force (c/n EEP42083, Sw
AF/n 28001) and now displayed at Flygvapenmuseum.
Photo below: J 28B - probably # 28317
- in July 1969 at Tullinge. This aircraft was withdrawn from use
two years earlier.
For the Model Builder
|This stamp, issued at Bahamas in 1993, depicts a de Havilland Vampire Mk 9 fighter-bomber. The depicted aircraft, RAF serial WL 559, was delivered in 1952 and was provided to the No. 8 Squadron of Royal Air Force which operated the type 1952 - 1955. No 8. Squadron was during these years based at Khormaksar in Aden.|
© Lars Henriksson