|B 16A - Caproni Ca 313 (1940-1943)|
|Page 1 (3)|
the end of 1939, the supply of any aircraft to the Swedish Air Force
from manufacturers abroad became impossible. The capacity of the
domestic Swedish aircraft industry was small. One exception was the
still neutral Italy. When the possibility to purchase Italian aircraft
arose, Sweden had to take the opportunity. The aircraft, the fighters J
11 and J 20 and the Caproni
Ca 313, in Sweden designated B/S/T
16, were not what the Air Force really wanted, and the business use
to be mentioned as ”the
Emergency Purchase”. As compensation, Sweden had to export
important raw materials to the Italian war industry.
Caproni Ca 313 were delivered to the Air Force. Of these were 30
intended as bombers (B 16A)
and supplied to the newly established bomber Wing F 7 at Såtenäs. The
first B 16As arrived to F 7 in October 1940.
B 16A was armed with two fixed wing-mounted 13 mm automatic cannons and
two moveable 8 mm machine-guns. One machine-gun was mounted in a dorsal
turret. The other was fitted at the underside of the fuselage, firing
downward-backward. The B 16 could carry an internal bomb load of 400 kg
and an external of 250-400 kg.
The crew of four consisted of pilot, radio operator/co-pilot,
bombardier and mechanic/gunner.
aircraft was powered by two 750 hp Isotta-Fraschini Delta RC 35 engines
of inverted V-type.
Ca 313 was not very successful as a bomber. During 1941, F 7 began to
re-arm with light bombers (SAAB B 17). The Capronis were modified to
long-range (”strategic”) reconnaissance aircraft (S 16) and
transferred to the reconnaissance Wing F 11 at Nyköping.
Span 16,65 m. Length 11,80 m. Height 3,70 m. MTOW 5.650 kg. Maximum speed 420 km/h.
Photos at top and below of B 16A's from Air Force Wing F 7 at Såtenäs.
© Lars Henriksson